The Campus News Digest (CND) features announcements, news, and event updates relevant to the UM-Flint campus. The CND is distributed every two weeks in the UM-Flint NOW newsletter coordinated by University Communications & Marketing (UCOM).
President Schlissel, chancellors describe collaborative culture for campuses
In comments to the University of Michigan Board of Regents and continued in a story published in the University Record, President Mark Schlissel added more to the public pledge he made to “evaluate and discuss the relationship between the Ann Arbor campus, UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint.”
The article states, “A key to the long-term success of the University of Michigan is allowing each of the three campuses to define its own needs, establish its own priorities and develop its own budget accordingly to promote student success.”
Schlissel encouraged attendees to visit U-M’s Public Affairs website to read a more detailed description of the relationship among the campuses, clarifications to some common misconceptions, and additional information that “highlights the extent of our work to keep tuition low and save taxpayer dollars on each of our three campuses.”
Be an MPowering Mentor
- Learn more about becoming a mentor for the MPowering My Success program, a grant-funded program for former foster youth. Mentor information sessions are Aug. 5 and Aug. 12 at noon in the Alumni Room, University Center.
The Flint Truth and Action Partnership Project (FTAAPP) supports the work of UM-Flint faculty members:
- With funding from a Flint Truth and Action Partnership Project (FTAAPP) grant through University Outreach, nursing faculty member Jori Reigle helped organized “History on the Move,” a community run/walk event in Flint’s Civic Park neighborhood. The event combines a 1.5 mile or 5k training loop with a guided tour through the historic Civic Park neighborhood. Runners and walkers can get in shape and hear fascinating stories about the neighborhood as it celebrates its centennial. It takes place Aug. 6, beginning at 5:30 p.m. at Joy Tabernacle Church (2505 N. Chevrolet Ave.).
- Assistant Professor of Public Health and Health Sciences Reza Amini, PhD, MD, MPH, was also awarded a Flint Truth and Action Partnership Project (FTAAPP) grant through University Outreach. In partnership with the Genesee Health Plan (GHP), Amini will evaluate the effectiveness of GHP in improving access to health services and health-related quality of life. The results of this project will provide more insight to the community stakeholders and decision-makers to enhance access to health services and ultimately reduce health disparity and improve quality of life of GHP members.
Accolades and Updates from around campus:
- The School of Nursing was named to the number one spot on the 2019 Best Online RN to BSN Programs by RegisteredNursing.org.
- The UM-Flint chapter of Theta Chi was one of three chapter’s nationally recognized with the Chapter Achievement Award. This award recognizes chapters that “demonstrate substantial success, progress, and improvement in chapter operations” and is the second highest award a chapter may receive.