The University of Michigan-Flint is dedicated to assisting student veterans achieve their educational goals. Recognizing the need to provide assistance to student veterans, the university has directed funds from the State of Michigan university license plate sales to contribute to the Student Veteran’s Scholarship Fund.
“We are steadfast in our commitment to student veterans at UM-Flint,” stated Chancellor Ruth J. Person. “This new scholarship fund is the perfect way to enhance our commitment to our veterans by channeling the funds we receive from the sale of license plates toward their education.”
The UM-Flint Student Veteran’s Scholarship Fund is awarded annually to four student veterans who are enrolled as either undergraduate or graduate students at the university. The determination of awards is based upon financial need, with the level of individual G.I. Bill benefits taken into account. The requirements include:
1. Minimum 2.5 grade point average for undergraduate students.
2. Minimum 5.0 grade point average for graduate students.
3. For students transferring that haven’t established a GPA at UM-Flint, they should have a cumulative 2.5 undergrad from their transfer institutions.
4. Enrollment as a full-time student.
5. The student must meet all university standards, including academic, disciplinary, and financial aid standards.
6. Student veterans seeking a second degree may apply.
7. The funds may be used for tuition/fees and/or books.
“It is my hope to see vehicles all across this state with a UM-Flint license plate” said Chancellor Person. “That license plate will symbolize that our campus stands united for veterans, that we understand the sacrifices they have made, and that we honor their outstanding service.”
A new UM-Flint license plate from the State of Michigan—featuring the new UM-Flint logo—costs $35 plus the standard registration fee. For more information regarding the purchase of a UM-Flint license plate, please visit the Michigan Secretary of State Office website at http://www.michigan.gov/sos.